Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Discussing the B word

so i came across this very concious women and the media blog and was drawn to a post about the word bitch by Veronica Arreola. the post has lots of good points and i like the fact that she embraces the word instead of totally put it down.

from her post:
"1] I do believe we can reclaim the word and take the edge off if we embrace what people want us to feel bad about when they call us that - in other words, be proud that we’re strong, opinionated women. Don’t let people use that word on you to make you feel bad.

2] Bitch was central to the sexism in the Presidential campaign. Thus, I believe that it is central to our discussion on media, politics, and feminism to look at how we personally feel about the word and when it is appropriate to use it.

3] As a mom, I have to come to place where I can discuss this with my daughter one day. She’s only five, so I have a few years. But since I have contributed to Bitch magazine in the past and hope to do more, that conversation may happen before other parents. I’m waiting for the day she ends up telling her whole class that “Mommy is in Bitch!” and I get the phone call from the teacher."

read full blog: http://www.wimnonline.org/WIMNsVoicesBlog/?p=1220

-cristina

No comments: